Bugs and Bites, What would camping be without them? Probably more enjoyable or less itchy you may be thinking? Well your probably right.
But if you choose to go camping its one of the factors that you have to be mindful of as we are holidaying in their natural environment. Unfortunately, there is no real cure for these unwanted biting creatures. However, there are a number of things you can do to help prevent the unwanted itchiness.
- Sand flies inhabit low lying areas, therefore there first point of attack is the ankles and legs. To avoid an attack, try wearing socks or light coloured, summer clothing as sand flies are attracted to darker colours.
- Sand flies don’t like windy areas, try to move around or gather where a breeze is present.
- Our unwanted friends are more active at dawn and dusk, keep this in mind if you have a serve reaction.
- When camping ensure you secure your fly screens on your tent, swag, camper or caravan as sand flies can quite easily find small gaps.
- Use a bug repellent or even try baby oil this creates a layer on the skin which prevents sand flies from being able to penetrate and irritate the skin.
Below we have created a list of repellents and remedies:
- Baby oil
- Insect repellent
- Eucalyptus oil
- Tea tree oil
- Any form of oil body lotion can form a layer of protection.
- Kelalan Sandfly repellent (available from our shop)
- Calamine lotion
- Aloe Vera
- Kelalan Itch and Bite Relief (available from our shop)
Don’t let the bugs ruin your camping trip, they are all a part of the experience.